LAMENTATION OF A SAGE IN SEARCH OF LOVE



The memories of the high-school scar is fresh, 
When I was a toy tossed among babies

and left on the floor to be flogged by fire and water.
My case was worse, my heart was pierced with hot iron

 and people watched in ridicule and point
the unwanted finger at me from the market square.

The whole world was against me!
Not a single person was willing to

lend me a shoulder to lean on,
Not a single soul weaved the mat of pity

for me to sit on and lick my wounds.
Not a single soul checked the soul of my sole to

see how deep I was stabbed,
instead they all passed by and laughed at me.

The dawn soon came and I crossed to the city, 
Many women for me to choose;

they are many and in colours,
many men makes multiple choices,
But I needed no multiple choice;

 I wanted just one woman
who could take care of my broken soul,
keep him safe and return it to me
when I become a man in this rusty city.

Women here are winds,

those that only the fortunate enjoys.
They blow in the direction of those who have more,
But there I am, poor and crude, such women are not for me.

The fresh memories of my stabbed resurrects the pain, 
Thus with a weak and wounded heart, I was no woman's choice.


I was alone; life pushed me to the extreme edge.

The best love stories are shown on the screens,
the lucky boys replicate them, leaving me a jealous heart.
All I wanted was love,

but not even lust came my way,
I was lost; without love,
I was lost, never to be found.

Adaeze was my first try in the city,
but for four years I couldn't fit into her circle,
Osita came around and left before the man in me was wise.
Omobolaji showed me so much love,

she created memories that were hard to forget,
 but she went away with those memories,
she left without cause,
 cursing and regretting,
 she hated me as much as she loved me.
Then my journey continues.
My futile search for love continues.


More women came and left before I could say a word,
it seemed to me I was cursed never to be loved,
but I am a warrior, I fight with my heart,
never to accept such fate;
 I keep the faith.

Chi said I am not rich, that she can't date a poor man, 
Shirley, the Kenyan had trust issues,

life has taught her to protect her heart
and that of her daughter, she did,
 thus left me to go on in search.
Victoria was a Caribbean,

we fought, talked and departed,
her father said I am a thief,
that my brothers are scavengers in their country,
stealing people's hearts.

Then came Oyin,
hundred years to make her mine,
but she left after just a day,
she said I didn't create enough time for her,
 but the time is not always here,
 they are with those who sit at the brighter side of life and forget.

Ruka came next,
she has the heart of gold;
 the only woman that made me dream marriage,
 but again, she was not sure,
she wasn't sure she wanted me,
she couldn't accept she love me,
she was just not sure and thus,
my search continues.

Alas!
My faith turns fate,

then I found her, who before me always slouch,
I mean her, whose presence was my inspiration,
That girl that lives opposite,

whose completion reveals the beauty of Africa,
Whose teeth reveals the mind of God and smile

tells the tale of the son of man when he fed five thousand.

She was a woman at an age
when her parents wouldn't let her have her wish, 
She was a woman who couldn't decide she wanted me, 
She was a woman who loves someone else and not me.

I was the man; that man who wouldn't respect his old age,
I was that being whose life has been without love,
despite I have given more love,
I am the son of man whose beautiful brain

could not earn the love of the woman of choice.

If this continues, then I will go on in my futile journey,
searching for love in this forest men call life

 and whatever happens to me,
I will say my stories with sighs and
write them on these trees for those who come after me.
Let no one cut down these trees,

for on them are messages
to be passed down across generations.


Written by Soul'e Rhymez
©2017

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SOUL'E RHYMEZ POETRY COMPETITION SEASON1

THE RUDIMENTS OF EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION

HOLINESS AND VIRGINITY