DOMESTIC VIOLENCE; CAUSES AND WAYS OUT


(An Online Discourse on SRAF)


INRODUCTION:

SOUL'E RHYMEZ: Hello, how you doing?
Hope y'all are doing great?
Tonight's Discourse is "Domestic Violence; the Causes and The Ways Out.
But first, can we define what domestic violence is in our own understanding?


THE DEFINITIONS & POSSIBLE CAUSES

VICTORIA INCE: Violence and aggressiveness displayed toward members within the home; the abuse of a spouse, siblings or partner. This can be, sexual or financial, physical, psychological, economical or/and emotional.

TOBILOBA: Domestic violence is an abusive behavior against the other person, just to gain power or control over an intimate partner. For instance, it is when husband hits his wife just all in the name of correction. Wife withstands it too all in the name of love.
Domestic violence especially a man hitting the wife exposes the female to all sort of danger Domestic violence could be sexual, physical, psychological, emotional or economical All of these factors are critical, because it incur lot of damages on a personnel.

-JOHN: Domestic violence based on my understanding is abuse of the wife (where a husband uses his wife as a punching bag) and vice versa.
Also where a master treats his or her maids or servants badly or when the wife refuses or starves the husband of sex when he is at the point of losing it, just because he was unable to give her enough money to prepare meal. Or maybe he tried to rebuke the wife publicly for having to quarrel with the neighbor, in turn to torture him she starves him of what he paid for. Domestic violence is when the man in such situation applies force to get what he wants.

SOUL'E RHYMEZ: Wow! These are great definitions.
Most definitely have geniuses here.  All the definitions are correct, however, according to Victoria and Tobiloba, domestic violence is not limited to couples alone. It is not also until one beat someone up. It can be sexual or verbal. Now, let us dissect it psychologically and experience-wise.
What do you think is the cause of domestic violence? Between the male and the female, who do you think really perpetuates the act and why?
Floor is open. Intelligent people, let's get on.

VICTORIA INCE: Well, in different parts of the world domestic violence is accepted as a way to instill fear, to chastise a wife to improve her. Above all its just a way to control one spouse. The male mostly are the perpetrators of such act. For example it is a tool used to bring a partner or spouse into subjection, to some it's a form of power.

-JOHN: Today lots of people see domestic violence as being caused by the man alone, but I would say that domestic violence based on the type of violence could be caused by both sexes.
The husband can initiate it by having to stopping the wife from working out of envy, because he feels she is going to take over his position as breadwinner. 
This is psychological, or maybe the wife is from a wealthy family and the parents of the lady are the main stay of the man's house, the lady now uses it as a point of insulting and abusing the man, turning him into something lesser than a house boy.
Most marriages are just a fairy tale. Marriage should be a man and wife coming together as one. You can't hit; abuse or make each other feel bad physically or psychologically. See your man as a part of yourself, and the man should also see the wife as a part of himself too.

STEVE-D: Domestic violence manifest as a result of misunderstanding.
Physical violence exists when the man want to show he is superior to the lady in all aspect without consulting her opinions.

TOBILOBA: Causes of domestic violence are: stress, depression, provocation by the other partner. Jealousy, anger, desperation and lot more. Another notable one is transfer of aggression; if you grow up as a victim of domestic violence.
If your boyfriend is manhandling you now, you better quit the relationship. 
Don't sit down there and say all will be well, my sisters, may you never enter well.
Once a man raises his hand on a woman once, it continues till God intervenes, it is like a spirit. Seek for help, don't die in silence!

VICTORIA INCE: Most domestic violence, in a social context exists in patriarchal society.
In some society the effect of that marriage insists a woman surrenders her rights to the husband. The perception of domestic violence varies based on religion, class or even where you live.
What about a region that is Patriarchal?
What rights does a woman have?
How does a woman fight against that when society agrees a man owns her?
Domestic violence is prevalent everywhere. If persons are educated it makes the difference.
Persons need to be educated about cause and effects.


SIGNS & EXPERIENCES

TOBILOBA: How do you know if you are in an abusive relationship?
1. If you fear your partner too much.
2. If a lot of time figuring out how to place a topic before in order not to arouse his negative action.
3. If you feel you can never do anything right for your partner.
4. If you feel like there is nowhere to turn for help.
5. If you sometimes wonder if you are the one over reacting to your partner's actions.
6. If he/she makes you feeling emotionally numb.

STEVE-D: My story as a victim of domestic violence.
I have seen affliction, shame, envy, hatred even thought of ending my life.
Since I was born 28 years ago, I have not seen my mum.
I have been living with my sep-mother and my father who treats me like an outcast. He does not allow me go and visit my mom; I don't know any of my family members.
I have tried to pack out and stay alone yet my dad is after me, he wants to keep me in the house as houseboy.
My dad married my mum when she was in school; to her hes a widower. 
She gave birth to me in January and December same year, she gave birth to my only sister.
After 2 years his wife came back and he lied that my mum was his housemaid.
By thas time, my mom was pregnant again. After giving birth to the baby, my fathers first wife started trouble. My mom being a deeper life member, left the house with me and my siblings, but my dad went after her claim me and my sister, leaving her with the last child who was only 6 months old then.  Since then till now, I have been staying with step mom. My sister was killed in the same tussle in 2002.
Now am without a sister. My father usually comes to the place where I teach most times and tell the principal I left the house without sweeping or mopping it. That is degrading for a 28 year old man, but I have no option. They lock me inside whenever they are going out. This feels like hell and the money I earn from where I teach is barely enough for my feeding. How do I escape this trauma?
I need your prayers. I will appreciate a job somewhere outside Calabar, just to be free from his torments.

VICTORIA INCE: Now @ Steve you may be the perfect candidate to be an abuser, maybe you have not chosen to.

--JOHN: My ex girlfriend was in a situation....I know how it feels...
I helped her and her dad threatened to kill me anytime he saw me. Her dad tried to rape her and fondles her sensitive parts a lot. She reported it to me and when I involved the police her father bribed them.

MARYAM TEC: Domestic violence is very bad and woman always fall the victim most times.  I have experienced that through my aunty.

-JOHN: I have an elder sister, who was beaten till she fainted with pregnancy and at the point of delivery by her husband.  She has also been beaten to a pulp a week after child birth, by the same husband.

MARYAM: I have never experienced domestic violence, but I know it is bad and unspeakable.


EFFECTS AND WAYS OUT

TOBILOBA: The effects of domestic violence can be very long lasting that it Incur lot on the abused.
1. Sleeping problem
2. Depression
3. Anxiety
4. Feeling of abandonment
5. Anger
6. Lack of trust in others
6. Inability to work
Also physical abuse may lead to death, if the person doesn't leave the relationship.

VICTORIA INCE: We all agree Domestic Violence is a violation of human rights, but the Constitution is against it. It is common and almost acceptable in the northern parts.
Unless a man values the contribution his wife brings to the home and stop treating her as a doormat. It will not end.
Unless persons change their beliefs and educate themselves, Domestic Violence will not end.
Unless we continue on a part of modernism, which rejects God as the Supreme ruler Violence will continue.
Unless the Government enforces the rights of woman and NGO's advocate for women, it will not end.
I think there should also be some intervention on the part of the abuser.
In closing, this group should really try a day of prayer. Many of us know someone who has been or are being abused. It would be nice to petition the throne of Grace on their behalf.

-JOHN: the abuser should be taken to a psych ward because anyone who abuses the other has mental problems.
Only one thing can curb it, proper prayers because only God can curb it. The Bible says that the family that prays together stays together. The solution is through divine intervention.

TOBILOBA: Such person (the abused) might be sensitive to rejection and also diminish in mental and physical health.
Solutions:
1. Imposing penalties for such act
2. Funding the supporting service n also reporting to any service in charge of domestic violence if you notice one
3. Speak out publicly about domestic violence, don't be nonchalant. Domestic violence is no joke.


MORDERATORS VERDICTS AND CONCLUSION

SOUL'E RHYMEZ: Aright, superb contributions again.
What have I to say again?
Much has been said, but I buttress them.
Everyone has made great points. So sorry for Steve's situation, however, it is to be noted that we will help as much as we can.  
Domestic Violence is a very dangerous thing as posited by many of us and I tell you, it contributes to high rate of mortality around the world. Many have also been handicapped for life as a result.
I was a victim for years, because the person I lived with, who was my uncle was also a victim. He couldn't help it but transfer the aggression on me.
The fact that he was abused domestically does not give him or anyone excuse abusing others, but how could I and other victim have helped it?

In fact, I got my freedom the day I decided to fight back, but that was after 4 years of violence. He was always right and I was always wrong. This includes psychological, physical and also economical violence. I tell you the truth; I lived in fear of him and almost got crippled in the name of religion and respect.
It is a taboo to raise hand an elderly person; my tradition condemns it and the religion too. This is the same thing that killed some people. I had to tell myself that it must end after all Jesus has never come down to hold his hand or fight for me. I would have died a stupid death like many others. But I broke the rule; I fought back in self defense. I defiled religion and tradition and now I have my freedom.
Now I can tell you that until we overcome and let go some religious and cultural believes, domestic violence won't stop.

Talking about these beliefs, what are they?
Some people whose lives have been cut short or crippled as a result of domestic violence endured such assaults because of certain traditional and religious beliefs. I read about a woman who was recently murdered by her abusive husband. Her sister stated she was there because of the children. That's bad.
Most women in this part of the world have their lives crippled for fear of divorce. They don't want people to call them divorcee. Their religion goes against it and their religion leaders, who would also have taken drastic decisions in such situation, will tell them to keep praying and enduring. That's foolish.
This is why men have the upper hand in this part of the world to assault women. They know these women have no choice than to endure, either because of cultural belief or religious belief.

Talking about husbands assaulting wives, which is common in Africa, the major cause is payment of dowry.
Payment of dowry reduces women to mere properties and this is implanted in the subconscious of almost every man who pays dowry to marry his wife. This is why they believe they can cheat on the women, but the women have no right to cheat. For instance, imagine, Igbos, a major tribe in Eastern Nigeria is known for huge amount as dowry for their women, who are set to get married. Tell me, will you pay such huge amount for a lady and still see her as your mate or superior? Who owns who, the buyer or the person who was bought?
Unknown to Africans, who think payment of dowry will earn the women respect, it only makes them expensive properties. Women are great creations with brain, not just property. But can't a man do to his property what he wants? Some religion does not also recognize women; they believe they are for men's use. With these in place, domestic violence against women will never stop.

We can't keep dealing with the branches and leave the root untouched. The problem won't be solved. However, domestic violence is not limited to men to women, women also assault men both physically and psychologically.
In western world where in the bid to protect the right of women, the government has over empowered them. The women are most guilty of domestic violence.
Knowing that the men will be in trouble if he touched them, most of them slap their men and beat them up at a slight provocation. They know the government will protect them and they abuse such right. In places like that, where women knows when they file divorce, the man loses, they misbehave and torment their men. This shows that domestic violence is a two-way thing.

How do we curb domestic violence?  
In Africa, where women are mostly victims, I recommend we do away with certain traditional beliefs such as payment of dowry. However, in place of dowry, women should take the responsibility of using their brains and not see themselves as mere properties that the society has condemned them to be.
There is a saying in the western part of Nigeria, that regardless of how educated a woman is, she will still end up in the kitchen. This is a testimony that women are seen as mere properties and their most important duties are: to be used for sex (for pleasure and for reproduction) and as cook for their husbands. This is why most men don't involve their wives in decision making. It is always a relationship between the Lord and the serf.
The women should stop seeing themselves as baby factories; they should stop seeing themselves as incomplete without husband. Though to be married is good, but not when you become a punching bag or a slave, whose opinion doesn't count. This is domestic violence.
If you find yourself in this, I recommend you file a divorce. I stand by my words.

In the western world, where women are the victors of domestic violence, I have this to say to you. It is true you can live independently and it is no crime to do that, but every man deserves to be respected, regardless of who is the breadwinner of the family and who is stronger. Men are useful and vital to your life. It is wrong, very wrong to assault men, just as it is wrong to assault for them to assault women too. It is not easy to be a man. I think such matters should be well investigated. If you are a man in this part of the world, who must have been assaulted by a woman, because she's the breadwinner or more influential, please be the man.
Women will be forced to respect a man who knows his worth regardless of what he has or not, but it will do you a great good to get yourself a job, regardless of how little you earn, enjoy it in peace and retain your respect.

That's how far we can go for tonight, for any question, suggestion as regard this, please contact me on: +2348163800077.
Thanks to you all for your cooperation, thanks to Mrs. Ipadeola Oluwabunmi, who coordinated with me and was also the correspondent.
Till we meet on this platform again, my name remains Soul'e Rhymez.

Good night.


APPRECIATIONS

VICTORIA INCE: Strong words, but great advice.

V. SHEY: Thank you, Soule Rhymez

VIKTOH: My regards to thee, who is called Soul'e Rhymez...
I, who is called Vikxx acknowledges thy words tonight....
May thy pen never lack ink to fill our memory with thy writings.

EDITORS
Victoria Ince (Trinidad & Tobago)
Soule Rhymez (Nigeria)

CORRESPONDENT
Mrs. Ogunote Oluwabunmi Ipadeola  (Nigeria)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SOUL'E RHYMEZ POETRY COMPETITION SEASON1

THE RUDIMENTS OF EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION

HOLINESS AND VIRGINITY