THE POWER OF KINDNESS

(An online lecture delivered by Titilola Oluwafunmilola Owolabi)

Venue: Blessed Army whatsApp group


Titilola: Good evening ladies and gentlemen,

As stated earlier, my name is Titilola Oluwafunmilola Owolabi and the topic we will discuss tonight is, The Power of Kindness.
This discussion will be interactive please. I want to learn from you too. Thank you.
Kindness is a fruit of the Holy Spirit, but innate in every one of us is the tendency to be selfish and self-centered, which often prevents us from showing kindness.
What do we mean by kindness?
How do I exhibit kindness?
My time and resources are limited, I have a very busy life, I wake up by 4am to leave home by 5am and return by 10pm, how can I show kindness?
Let's start by defining power and kindness. When we know what it entails, then we can know what we need to do about it.

Power: ability to do or act; capability of doing or accomplishing something.


Kindness: the quality of being friendly, generous, and considerate.


Synonyms: kindliness, kind-heartedness, warm-heartedness, tender-heartedness, goodwill, affectionateness, affection, warmth, gentleness, tenderness, concern, care; 


Synonyms: kind act, good deed, act of kindness, good turn, favour, act of assistance, service, help, aid



The Power of kindness: This is the ability to do good deeds, the capability of showing affection and acts of goodwill.


In this day and age that we are always in hurry and trying to make ends meet, we more often than not, forget to be compassionate, emphatic, kind to others around us. We are usually in such a hurry to get things done, that we don’t consider the side effects of what we are doing to others.

How many of us will willingly give a service we know we will neither get paid nor get referrals from?
I always look at the small acts of kindness:  A warm greeting to a domestic staff, the magic words; please and thank you. How often do we use them?
A smile can go a long way, it not only brightens your face; it brings a smile to others as well.
Sometimes, all the next person wants is a knowing smile that says 'I understand'. Do we even take time to notice these people not to talk of showing care?

I work in the hospitality department in my church under the Ushering unit.

I have come to know the power of smile, the effect of a warm greeting; the little acts of kindness you won’t ever believe will affect the next person positively.
When I go out, in church, at home, I take my time to greet everyone I come across and I must say, it has opened many great doors for me.
I remember when I didn’t have a car, standing at the bus stop was rare at a point because, arriving at the bus stop, at least one car will stop to give me a lift and they are always church members. I wasn’t ever worried if the bus I board break down on the road, I knew all I had to do was alight from the bus and am home bound almost immediately.
Worthy of note please: We don't do acts of kindness in anticipation for reward.
We show kindness selflessly; because we know the other person is in need and we have to be of help. God blesses kindness and ensures you are never ever stranded at any point in time.

The power of observation: There was this church member who was pregnant. I asked the husband after a few weeks of not seeing her; he informed me they lost the baby. The day the woman returned to church, I went to her and hugged her, I didn’t say a word, but till date, she worships the ground I walk on. She had a son after that, but kept me informed all through her pregnancy and we usually prayed together. When she put to bed, she asked the husband to inform me immediately. What did I do? All I did was give a hug.

That was all she needed at that point in time. A hug.
In a similar manner, the security men in the organizations I visit all know me, I will stop to greet and ask after their families. The drivers in my office are very familiar too, I know their families stories like the back of my hands.
Why? I ask from time to time about their families. I may not give them money, but they know I care.

What is the whole essence of this long story (please forgive my epistle) show a little kindness. Say positive words to people. Dont always be in a hurry. Stop to notice others around you. What do they need?

Forget your own needs sometimes. Lend a helping hand. It doesn’t have to be monetary at all. Sometimes, all the next person needs is a hug, words of affirmation, a knowing smile, a warm greeting, etc.
Don’t always be self-centered; ME! ME! ME! Every time. Nah! Take a breather sometimes and reach out to others.

Is it always easy? NOOOOOOOO!


Is it worth it? YESSSSSSS! ONE MILLION TIMES!


Can I get hurt while showing kindness?  Momentarily, yes!

In seeing the bigger picture, you might have unknowingly planted a good seed.
The good seed will grow to become an oak. Keep being kind.
When I board a bus, I thank the conductor and driver, when the door is opened by a security man, I thank him. An okada guy drops me, I thank him, I buy something from you, I will thank you, and the list goes on and on.
Do you appreciate people?
When people do something for you, do you thank them?
Some people don’t. Stop, stoop low if you have to. Whatever you do, show a little kindness henceforth.
Give a helping hand when you are able to.
The bible says "A man gives out of that which he has and not out of that which he has not".
Whatever a man finds to do, do it with all your heart.
Most definitely, the help of the Holy Spirit cannot be over emphasized.
When the Holy Spirit dwells in you, He will teach you the way to go, what to do, how to do it.
Knowing that kindness is a fruit of the Spirit, one can't operate it without the Holy Spirit.

QUESTION TIME


Ruth‬: Should an act of kindness get people attracted to you, how do you handle it when the attraction is from d opposite sex?


Titilola: Well, some acts of kindness will attract the opposite sex. The Holy Spirit is also the person go to person for help on how to handle it.

For example, a married man walked up to me and told me how he always looks forward to coming to church every activity in church because he always feel better whenever he sees me smile.
I had to pray against the lust in him. Funny thing is; I get the same comments from both men and women.
I had to say a quick prayer for him before it degenerates to something else.
Kindness also attracts bad people who may want to take advantage of you. The Holy Spirit is a helper and gives the spirit of discernment to help us discern bad people.
‪+234 814 629 4642‬: On the issue of smile, some people are kind but don't have d habit of smiling always yet they are happy, true or false?

Titilola: Loooooool. Well, lets start from the definition.


Kindness: the quality of being friendly, generous, and considerate.


Synonyms: kindliness, kind-heartedness, warm-heartedness, tender-heartedness, goodwill, affectionateness, affection, warmth, gentleness, tenderness, concern, care; 


Synonyms: kind act, good deed, act of kindness, good turn, favour, acts of assistance, service, help, and aid.

When you are kind, you are friendly, generous, and considerate. You show care and empathize. How do you ease the agitation of the person you want to reach out to without a smile to calm them down?
When you are happy on the inside, we need not ask. We see it on your face even if you ain't smiling at that very moment.
Some people could desire to be kind, but not having a friendly face as they reach out a helping hand will only make people scared of them and except the people are in the tightest spot, they won't accept help from them or go to them for encouragement.

God bless you real good.


Compiled and edited by Eneji Stephen Toluwalashe (Soul’e Rhymez)

+2348163800077

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SOUL'E RHYMEZ POETRY COMPETITION SEASON1

THE RUDIMENTS OF EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION

HOLINESS AND VIRGINITY