LOOKING BUT NOT SEEING

Many of us look but cannot see. And it is quite painful to see that this preposterous act is pervasive in our world today. We must be wary of this act because it is destructive.
One day, I headed to a bank to withdraw some money from an ATM. It was in the afternoon. When I arrived at the junction of my street, I asked a bike man to take me to the bank. When we got there, I told him to wait so he would be the one to take me back home. He agreed to wait as I rushed into the bank to cash my money.
Having cashed my money, I rushed outside in order not to keep the bike man waiting unnecessarily. But to my utter consternation, as I rushed outside I couldn't find the bike man. I was astounded. "He couldn't have left without collecting his money", I thought out loud. 
Where I was standing thinking of what to do next because I didn't want to take his money away, I sighted a man who was standing and looking towards the bank.
He looked like the bike man who brought me to the bank but nothing struck me that he was actually the one I had been waiting for. Likewise, nothing struck the bike man that I was the man he had been waiting for.
We were both embarrassed the moment we realized that we've wasted so much time unnecessarily just because we couldn't recognize ourselves from the beginning. The act of looking but not seeing is prevalent in our societies today.
While I was standing in the hot sun looking left and right for the bike man, he was also looking at everyone coming out of the bank steadfastly but nothing struck both of us that we've been waiting for each other.
That very day I learnt a very vital lesson in life. As I headed back home that day, I couldn't stop thinking about the scenario, and a voice kept telling me that that is the way many of us are living our lives. We look but we cannot see, and the major consequence of this is that it delays destiny.
The consequence the bike man and I faced for not noticing ourselves from the beginning was that our journey was delayed. We wasted so much time under the scorching sun. This is also true to this life. If we fail to notice ourselves with little details, we will end up delaying our destinies.
This unbecoming act is also prevalent on social media (Facebook and WhatsApp especially) these days. Many of us have friends there whom we don't even notice. We don't say "Hi" to them. Even if they offer a greeting, we won't even notice. That's a big shame. This act must be curtailed.
If what happened that day had not happened, I wouldn't have known how guilty I am of this offence. It was really embarrassing for me not to notice the man who was going to take me to the bank on his bike. My life was in his hands at that period, and I didn't even notice him. What a shame!  It was a big shame, too, for the bike man couldn't notice the man who is about making him to earn a living. In the long run,  two of us suffered from the irrevocable consequence- our journey was delayed.
We waited ignorantly under the scorching sun, while we were both staring at ourselves. Whenever I think of this incident, I realize how important it is to notice those around you.
What about you? Don't you realise this, how many people you fail to notice? You see a lot of people but you don't notice them. What is even more painful is that this people shouldn't escape your attention, but it's a pity they are the ones you didn't notice.
See, life is not all about you and I at times, it is about us. I've heard motivational speakers say, "Live for yourself and satisfy yourself" but I tell you, those who live for others are the most happiest and the most fulfilled. This might sound controversial but it is the bitter truth.
Now, I want you to take an introspection, think, who is that person whom you've failed to notice. When last did you speak with your father and mother? As a student in school when last did you call your pastors to appreciate them for their spiritual help? What about that little boy that used to run errands for you, do you even notice him? Do you know what he is going through? Do you care? Or is it just about you?
I don't want to admit this but it is the bitter truth, many of us have this uncaring attitude within us. We don't bloody care what those around us are going through, we don't even give a damn for whatever they do for us.
Narcissism has eaten deep down our hearts.
Please, let's have a change of behaviour today. I want you to take a positive step now and do the right thing. If there is anyone you've failed to notice this is the right time to make amends. Call such people. Message them. Visit them if  possible. I love visiting people, if I have my way, I can visit everyone on my contact list. Do you even know visitation is a godly attribute?
Stop here! Go and make amends. Go to those you've failed to notice, make them know that they are always remembered. Make them feel loved. By that, you've not only won their hearts but you've done a godly thing.
Thank you.
My name is Emmanuel Olatunji aka EGA, I am the exceptional being.
I'm also the principal coach at The Exceptional Being Coaching Academy (TEBCA), an online coaching class which aims at raising up exceptional leaders/beings. 

Contacts
08186808323
288CBD5E

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SOUL'E RHYMEZ POETRY COMPETITION SEASON1

THE RUDIMENTS OF EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION

HOLINESS AND VIRGINITY